Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Pacing myself.

Today was exhausting... even though I took a long nap after I got out of class and before I went to work. (Seriously, my day started with work at 8 and is just finishing now at 1 am.) Though most of my big final projects aren't due until next week, I'm working a LOT this week... so I have a feeling that I'm going to be working a lot next week too. I'm trying not to let it cut into my running, but I think that it's going to cut into my sleep. Something has got to give, I guess.

Tonight, I ran on the treadmill, because I worked and went to the grocery store after I finished class. I think that a treadmill isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it isn't the best training mechanism for me. For my sanity, I have to spend some time outside. There's nothing quite like running in the fresh air. On the treadmill, I push myself too hard and I run much more quickly than I typically do. I also strain myself and feel completely drained when I'm done. I cannot get myself to run at a steady pace on the treadmill. Sometimes it feels like a problem.

Tomorrow, I'm going to go on a 9-10 mile run outside and try to pace myself evenly. I haven't run more than 7 miles in a while, so it's going to be a big deal. I know that I normally hit a wall at 5 miles or so and then I get over it at 6 or 7, so it might go really well. I am hoping that the run will go really well.

I really just want to figure out my pacing. That's the biggest problem right now. I really like the idea that I will be able to complete a full marathon in a respectable time. I'm not sure what a respectable time is in my opinion right now, but it's going to take a lot of work. I'm worried about it. I'd like to be able to do well. I feel like I can be a successful runner and that I will be able to be the runner that I want to be. I also know that it takes a lot of work. I haven't put the work into my running lately, but I want to change that. I think that I can. Well, I know that I can. I'm just concerned about the work that I'm going to have to put into it combined with the amount of time that I do/don't have.

It would be really convenient to have five more hours in a day. That's not asking much is it?

Goal: 1000 miles/365 days
So far: 275.88 miles/167 days
To go: 724.12 miles/198 days

1 comment:

  1. I think you were worn out and needed that nap. I do think you need to work on your pacing but you are getting there for sure. A long run tomorrow would be good. Too bad I won't be able to join you...

    ReplyDelete