Monday, April 19, 2010

is obsession too much?

I pushed myself pretty hard tonight. I guess that I can't expect to have great mileage or times when I haven't done much running for the past few months. I just need to keep at it... keep working toward my running and improvement. It's sometimes tough to be able to push myself when I feel like I have so much going on.

I wish that I had more people to run with. I run with Katherine when I can, but it's hard because she hurt her foot a while ago so I know she worries about hurting herself worse. (Plus with her two jobs and my three jobs and my classes, it's hard to find time that we can both run together.) I've talked to people at work about running with them, but usually just lightheartedly. It's mostly taken as a joke. I'm a little bit serious about it though. It would be really nice to have someone to run with, someone to keep me going. I can motivate myself though. I know that I'm not going to just find someone to run with everywhere. I mean, I work in two ice cream stores and then in dining for my university... not very many people that I work with are too concerned with being careful of their health. Even fewer actually want to train for races with me.

I would like to join a running group, but it is really hard to find the time. My life is all about being in a rush, so it's hard to actually find something to do one more thing. Maybe when I'm in grad school, I can make it a priority to join a running group. I'd just like to have more running friends, I guess.

It's nice that Megi has started to run and that she has been talking to me a little about her journey. It makes me feel like I'm more connected in a sense, I guess. I like to be able to talk about running. Sometimes, though, I feel like I'm obsessed with it, which scares me a little. I'm not neccessarily obsessed. I just get really into the things that I enjoy. I immerse myself in things. Right now, I'm immersed in running stuff. I'm also really immersed in media information and with writing. One thing that I'm really into right now is running. I like the positive reactions that I'm getting from what I'm doing and I really enjoy the way that people compliment me for different things or seem impressed with me and what I'm doing. I'm just not so excited about how there is some negativity in my circles.

I'm reading Marathon by Mal Higdon from Runner's World. I'm only on chapter 3 or so, but it's really inspiring. I've been trying to find motivation and some of the things that Higdon wrote about really have inspired me to keep going. I will probably have plenty to say about the book later.

I'm just trying to figure out when I should schedule my first full marathon. I have some decent endurance right now. I am going to keep at it and add more miles. I just need to be able to run Goofy's Challenge in January. That's my big goal right now. I think that I'm looking at running a full marathon sometime in the fall. I'm not totally sure though.

My run today was almost 7 miles. It was nice to be able to run with Katherine. I think that we both pushed ourselves pretty hard and I know that my muscles will be sore tomorrow. (That's unfortunate, because I work two of my jobs tomorrow. ha.)

Goal: 1000 miles/365 days
So far: 270.84 miles/166 days
To go: 729.16 miles/199 days

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad we had that good run and I'm excited for the time we will run a half marathon distance on our own soon. I'm glad that you got the picture message to work :) I would like to run a race this summer and I am more able to go running outside because I feel like the treadmill makes my foot hurt worse.

    ReplyDelete