Thursday, April 15, 2010

heat, exhaustion, soreness..

Running is HARD. Everybody who says that running is a simple sport, because all you need is a pair of shoes is a liar. It's not simple and it isn't easy. I'm exhausted. My feet are sore and my legs are tired. I have a million things going on in my life, but I'm still going out and running like an insane person.

Today was the pinnacle of my semester. I'm finally done with the majority of my most difficult assignments, so I finally got to run today. Naturally, this month has been much more warm than April in Indiana typically is, so tonight it was HOT out. I'm not used to running in the extreme heat anymore. My muscles fought with me for the entire six miles. I came home covered in sweat. It was pretty awful.

As usual, my first mile was the worst. I felt like I wouldn't be able to finish my run. I had to push myself to continue after I ran past my car. (I often run around a block on campus and parallel park my car on the side of the road. The block is a little more than a mile and a half.) After the first mile, my run got better, but my endurance was still off. It's been a while since I've been running regularly and I know that my muscles are mad at me about it. I know that I'm going to have to rebuild my endurace, but it's going to be really hard with the heat. My body will become accustomed to it, though. I just prefer that it's sooner rather than later. ha.

My second and third lap went pretty well, though. By the time I started running my last lap around the block, I was starting to really drag. I had to mentally fight with myself to continue running. I did, though. I ended up running a little over six and a half miles, which is pretty good. I took it pretty easy at the end, though, which I am a little disappointed with. However, I did finish the miles that I wanted to finish and my timing wasn't too terrible. It could have been a little better, but it wasn't horrible.

Hopefully, I can get accustomed to the warm weather soon. I will have more time to be able to run now that I turned in my huge 20 page paper. That will definitely help a lot.

I still have to make an official decision about the 10k on Saturday. Choices, choices...

Goal: 1000 miles/365 days
So far: 264.07 miles/162 days
To go: 735.93 miles/203 days

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you had that good run even though you were a little upset about how hard you pushed yourself. It'll be good to have long runs like that more often to prepare yourself for sure. If only we had set schedules all the time it'd make it easier to run. Well...your schedule is pretty set but mine isn't.

    ReplyDelete