Saturday, February 4, 2012

Florida Hospital's Lady Track Shack 5k: Race Recap

Race recap time!

Today was another 5k. I really need to stop getting up so early on Saturdays after Friday night closings. It's exhausting, but it's hard to say no to a good 5k every so often.

Today was Florida Hospital's Lady Track Shack 5k. I went into it without wanting a specific time, like last time. I disappointed myself in not being able to finish in 12 minute miles, because I honestly thought that I should be able to have done it. This time, I just wanted to PR. I was mad last week that I didn't PR, but that I tied it, exactly, to the last second. This week, I didn't really fret much about it.

It was a women's only race that ran through part of Winter Park. Once again, I was a little bit frustrated that too many people started in the beginning of the race who just wanted to walk. It's always tough to run a small-ish race without corrals, because at the beginning, it can definitely get pretty crowded. Other than that, I felt like I was doing a decent job to start the race off. I was keeping pretty good pace for the first mile, about 11 minute miles, but I knew I didn't have the endurance to keep that up.

The second mile, I walked a little bit, but still did an okay job, I thought. The third was the same. When I was at about mile 2.5, I could tell that I was pretty likely to beat my PR, unless something crazy happened. I was at an 11:40(ish) pace, which was well below the 12 minute pace that I wanted. I decided to push it at the end and push past the 11:40's, maybe ending in an 11:30(ish) pace. Not bad.

I ended up finishing in 35:50, at an 11:32.0 pace. I'm pleased. Not too shabby if I say so myself. Ha.

Anyways, off to work.

Goal: 1000 miles/366 days
So far: 118.69 miles/ 35 days
To go: 881.31 miles/331 days

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy we both were able to PR. I know that it's tough to work up your speed but this proves you are able to. Now for getting more speed during training!

    ReplyDelete